When We Are Closed
Becoming unwell at night or the weekend when the surgery is closed (outside the times of 08.30 to 18.00 Mon to Fri), can be a stressful and worrying experience. The services that provide 'out of hours' medical care have changed slightly, so here are the current options:
- For any medical problem that is not an immediate critical or life threatening emergency
- If you call the surgery phone number, this will go straight through to the '111' service if the surgery is closed
- The '111' call handler can give advice, book an appointment with a GP or nurse directly, or arrange home visits when necessary
- The nearest Clinicians are based in Cambridge (Chesterton hospital) or Ely (Princess of Wales hospital)
Minor Injuries Unit
- The Minor Injuries Unit at the Princess of Wales hospital in Ely is open 08.30 to 18.00 Mon-Sun.
- Experienced and highly trained nurses can treat a wide range of problems including wounds, minor burns, sprains and strains, limb fractures, emergency contraception, eye problems, ear ache (if over 2 years of age), cystitis (for ladies over 14 years old) and minor head injuries.
- It is an excellent service which usually has a waiting time considerably shorter than local A&E departments.
- A range of common illnesses such as coughs and colds, sore throats, upset stomachs and aches and pains can be treated with a well stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest
- Did you know that a cough caused by a cold normally takes 2-4 weeks to settle?
- Some self care essentials: paracetamol, re-hydration sachets, indigestion remedies and a thermometer
- Try the website www.patient.co.uk which has a large number of useful information sheets on many common medical conditions.
Your local Pharmacy (for example Lloyds in Burwell)
- They can provide confidential expert advice for a range of common illnesses and complaints`
- Out of hours dental care can be accessed by telephoning '111'
- To find an NHS dentist either visit NHS choices on www.nhs.uk or call 0800 2792535
Go to A&E or call 999
- Medical emergencies
- Critical or life threatening situations
Out-of-hours services are generally busy so please think carefully before asking to see a doctor and only do so if you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens.